Monday, December 16, 2013

Vaan's Clamor

Lhusu Square
Balthier (standing with Basch and Fran near Aekom): His Excellency Marquis Ondore announced after the war that Captain Basch fon Ronsenburg had been executed… for slaying his own king. Now, as we all know, Basch lives. Should this become known, why, the Marquis’s lie would be revealed, and his Resistance jeopardized.
Basch: Spread the rumor that I still live, and the Resistance here in Bhujerba will come out of their hiding places to ascertain the truth. If we can contact their organization, we can use them to get to the Marquis. We’ll rescue Penelo from his estate, and see where he stands.
Fran: Walk the streets of Bhujerba and speak of Basch where people have gathered. We will await you here.
Street Vendor: The Imperials are gone, and business is booming! Do take a look, bhadra! [shop menu]
Various lines from Vaan, when “testifying”…
I’m Captain Basch fon Ronsenburg of Dalmasca!
Don’t listen to Ondore’s lies!
Basch lives!
I’m THE Basch fon Ronsenburg!
I’m Captain Basch!
Whenever you testify to an ordinary citizen, they will then be labeled as “Informed Citydweller”, or “Informed Wayfarer”, “Informed Shopkeep”, etc. when you talk to them. Various lines from the informed citydwellers, in response…
(exclusive to moogles) You are being very, very silly, kupo. Captain Ronsenburg died two years ago! Oh, oh, maybe he’s been hiding out on a desert isle? Kupo?
(exclusive to moogles) Captain Ronsenburg of Dalmasca, alive, kupo? First I’ve heard of this…
(exclusive to kids): You are the Captain Ronsenboobi? Oh, what fun! I will play at being captain, too!
Kah? You are Captain Ronsenburg? I had heard that he was quite dead. The Marquis has told us this some time past.
Captain Basch fon Ronsenburg? Haa, the fool who killed the King of Dalmasca and so prolonged that war. How many died because of him?
Basch? You mean the Dalmascan captain? The one executed for slaying his king?
And you are this Captain Ronsenburg? Are you not awfully young for a captain? You would do best to keep quiet, I think.
Haa, I wondered what it was you were shouting. This man you speak of, he is the one who killed the King of Dalmasca… and was executed, no?
Ah, the one who killed the Dalmascan king, no? If he’s alive, that’d cause quite the stir… ‘Course, that’s a big “IF”!
(exclusive to store clerks and shopkeepers): The Captain? Alive? Please, keep such pointless rumors out of my establishment, bhadra.
(exclusive to store clerks and shopkeepers): Captain… Ronsenburg? Haa! I understand! The customer is a mummer, practicing his act! Yes, yes. Very entertaining, if stupid.
Murkha! If you are to lie, bhadra, might I humbly request that you lie better?
A captain of Dalmasca? What of it?
Haa, yes, I remember. The Dalmascan captain, no? His slaying of the king prolonged the war. I had heard he was executed… was he not?
(exclusive to Targe): And you are this Captain Ronsenburg? I had thought him dead… And now the dead rise to purchase weapons! Frightening!
(exclusive to store clerks and shopkeepers): So you’re the Captain, eh? Ah, I see, I see, you want to be a captain when you grow up! Admirable, bhadra! I wish you good luck.
The Dalmascan captain who slew his king? He is long dead, friend. I heard the Marquis’s announcement with my own ears.
Ayi? Have you not heard? When Dalmasca fell, the Marquis announced that the Lady Ashe had perished, and the Captain was executed.
(exclusive to moogles): It does not do to lie, kupo. Very bad. Why, Marquis Ondore announced that the captain who killed the king was executed!
(exclusive to moogles): But if Captain Ronsenburg were alive… I wonder what Marquis Ondore would have to say for himself, kupo…
(exclusive to moogles): Then what the Marquis said two years ago, that was a lie, kupo? But why would the Marquis lie to us? It doesn’t make any sense at all, kupo.
(exclusive to Clio): The Captain, alive, kupo? Oh, I’ve heard some good ones in my day! That’s not one of them, though. If it were true… kupo…
(exclusive to kids): Captain Ron…sen…boobi? Uh… I’ve not heard of such a man, but I shall ask Amba. Perhaps she knows.
So, you’re Captain Ronsenburg? Well, then I’m the Emperor of Archadia! Ha! Eh? Think I’m crazy? Look who’s talking…
So, you are saying that Marquis Ondore is a liar, bhadra? You are reckless indeed, then. I would not venture out at night, were I you.
(exclusive to store clerks and shopkeepers): Kah? Captain Ronsenburg? Oh, that is choice! Look, I’ll believe whatever you like, just buy something, all right?
(exclusive to Niray): Ronsen…burg? Where have I heard this name before? Ah, yes! I remember… No, no. I do not.
Basch? Who is that? Is he a nobleman? Is he a great man? …Is he a bad man?
(exclusive to store clerks and shopkeepers): That’s… that Dalmascan captain, no? I had no idea he was so young! How terrible it must be in Dalmasca, that boys must go to war!
Various lines from parijanah, in response…
Captain Basch fon Ronsenburg? He is gone from this world, surely, bhadra. The Marquis announced it himself!
Kah? The Captain, alive!? Yet he was executed two years past for the slaying of Dalmasca’s king! I heard the Marquis’s words myself!
Kah!? Captain Ronsenburg, alive? Murkha! Ahem. That is to say, preposterous!
Haa… And you are this Captain Ronsenburg? Forgive me, bhadra, but you seem a touch young.
Various lines from sainikah, in response…
Lies, exaggerations, and obfuscations! These are all prohibited in Bhujerba! And slandering His Excellency above all else!
What do you think you are doing, bhadra? Spread any more vicious rumors and I shall have you arrested!
I must ask you to refrain from spreading such lies in public places, bhadra. All here know that Captain Ronsenburg was executed. You would have us doubt the Marquis?
Such talk is not permitted in public places! You will be quiet!

No comments:

Post a Comment