Monday, December 23, 2013

Lowtown - Dalan's Place & South Sprawl

Old Dalan’s Place
Rabanastran (woman at left): Something’s happened in the west… Dalan’s been behaving oddly ever since.
Rabanastran (kid at right): You ever hear of the garif? I heard that after they’re born, they put on a mask, and they don’t never take it off till they die… Wonder what they do if they get an itch?
Dalan: The garif? Let me think… Yes, I have seen the garif here in Rabanastre, though it was long ago. Hm. I can’t remember when the last time was. They live in the southwest of Ozmone Plain, to the south of Giza.
South Sprawl
Rabanastran (woman in green, pink, and blue walking around talking to various people): When I heard Vayne had returned to Archadia, it seemed there must have been some reason for it, but even Dalan doesn’t know what’s happening.
Resigned Boy: The Empire will protect us and keep us safe, I know it. But who will protect us from the Empire if they change their minds?
Frustrated Man: Door back here hasn’t worked since… since I don’t know when. But those blasted Imperials won’t give the word to have it fixed.
Somber Woman: When the children born since the war are older, and my daughter sees other kids with parents, I wonder if she’ll feel more comfortable with me.
Guileful Boy: You know why they sent Vayne back to Archadia? I bet it’s because he wasn’t treatin’ us mean enough. He ain’t done nothin’ mean, really.
Guileless Girl: Sometimes I play down in the alley what leads up to Southgate. Yep. But I don’t go up there. And I definitely don’t go down to Giza. Nope.
Awestruck Girl: See that man squattin’ down talkin’ over there? They say he used to be a sky pirate! It’s kinda exciting, havin’ someone mysterious around.
Samal: People think being a sky pirate is all riches and adventure, but the reality is far different. Your life is always at risk, you never know peace. You are free, I suppose. But it comes at a steep price. Your fate, succeed or fail, is entirely up to you. So what does it mean to be free? That’s the real question. Running to escape your troubles won’t make you free. It never can.

Traveling Merchant: Ain’t hardly sold nothin’ today. You lookin’ for somethin’, kid? [shop menu]
Well-spoken Girl: I wonder if this is how I’m going to grow up, here in the dark passages of Lowtown. Rather depressing, don’t you think? Sometimes I just want to run far, far away from it all… but that’s not easy when you’re just a child.
Friendly Boy: I don’t feel so good. There’s somethin’ funny been comin’ up from under the courtyard. I’ve always been real sensitive to that kinda thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment