Monday, December 16, 2013

Notoriety: 100%

[When the Notoriety meter reaches 100%...]
???: You. Boy. You will come with us.
[The scene switches to the back of the Cloudborne, where the Timorous Bangaa brings Vaan before n important-looking man sitting at the table.]
Henchman: This is the one, Havharo. Says he’s Captain Basch, he does.
Havharo: He would sooner pass for the King.
Henchman: I knew he weren’t no Captain! That was a mean trick to be playing.
Havharo: If at trickery it ended, it would end well enough. But why this boy, and why Captain Ronsenburg? An explanation is due, and I will hear it. The Empire’s hounds grow passing bold indeed.
[Balthier and Fran enter.]
Balthier: A shame if they learnt the Marquis trafficked with the likes of you. Agents masquerading as guides. A hideout at the back of a tavern. Not exactly earning high marks for originality, are we?
Henchman: Now you’ve done it.
Havharo: Wait!
[Basch makes his entrance.]
Havharo: So Basch fon Ronsenburg does yet live.
[The scene fades to black, and fades in again on a different setting.]
[The Estate of the Marquis Ondore – Drawing Room]
[Larsa sits at a desk writing, while Penelo sits on a sofa in front of him.]
Penelo: So Vaan really is all right. I didn’t think I’d ever get to see him again.
Larsa: You will join him soon. And until then I shall see that you’re kept from harm.
Penelo: Thank you.
[A pause, then Larsa looks up and sets down his pen.]
Larsa: I am troubled. The Rabanastre Imperial Guard appear to have overstepped their bounds. I intend to speak on this with the Consul.
Penelo: [surprised] What?
Larsa: Vayne Solidor, the Consul, is my brother.
[Penelo gasps.]
Larsa: The first duty of the Consul is to maintain order in Dalmasca. My brother – my brother is not one given to failure. Perhaps things are not going as well as they might be, but give him a little time, and he will put things to rights. Be not troubled. My brother is a remarkable man,

Penelo: He frightens me.

Larsa: Why?

Penelo: I’m sorry. He is your brother. It’s just - you don’t understand how much we lost to the war. My friends, my parents.

Larsa: So you fear the Empire? Listen to me. The men of my family, we are taught to place the needs of others before our own. I will see that you are kept from harm. It is my duty to House Solidor.

Penelo: But how - how can I trust you?

Larsa: Because I give you my word. My brother would do no less.
Havharo: I knew there must be more to it, but to find you at the end of this tale… Ah, to see the Marquis’s face when he learns of it.
Basch: I should like nothing more. I would meet him, and see for myself.
Havharo: How say you, my lord?
Ondore’s Attendant: There is little to be said. I shall arrange a meeting with the Marquis. We shall expect you at the estate.

No comments:

Post a Comment