Monday, December 23, 2013

Jahara - Banks of the Sogoht & Lull of the Land

Banks of the Sogoht
Garif Warrior: Who are you? This is garif land. No place for hume-children to play at games.
???: They are wayfarers. They bring no harm. I saw them cross the Ozmone Plain. They are warriors of great distinction. The fiends of the plains troubled them not at all.
Garif Warrior: You ventured upon the plains alone, War-chief? Again?
Garif War-chief: …….. ...What business have you with the garif? Let them pass. The responsibility will be mine.
Garif Warrior: If this is your wish, War-chief.
Garif Warrior: Then, you may pass. These days see many humes wandering through our lands.
War-chief Supinelu: Ah, I have not made introductions. I am Supinelu, War-chief of this village. We garif have been friends to all since long ago, however, lately the hume world is in much turmoil. We must protect our village, and our people. As War-chief, and protector of our village, I ask you: Why have you come to this land?
[Vaan explains.]
War-chief Supinelu: Hmm… I see. So you too have come to ask about the nethicite. You must speak with the elders. Though our masks may make it difficult for you to tell us apart, walk through the village and look with your eyes, listen with your ears.
Lull of the Land
Garif Warrior (on riverbank by two sparring partners): What is this? Another hume visitor to our land? This is most unusual. Have you, too, come to speak with our elder chieftains?
Garif Warrior/Warrior Guromu: Ah, you are the hume the War-chief has spoken of. You have crossed the plains to learn of the Stones, yes? I believe the elders can tell you much.
Garif Warrior (chatting with another garif behind Guromu): You seem a great warrior, but it is best you avoid Zertinan Caverns. There are many fell creatures there, and of late, worse… A fiend with strange powers has been seen. Perhaps this is why the other creatures there have grown yet more violent?
Garif Elder/Old War-chief Kadalu: Ah, you are the humes our War-chief saw on the plains. Welcome to our village, protected by the clear flow of the Sogoht. I am Supinelu’s brother, Kadalu. I worry… for Supinelu often goes to the plains alone. Why, when the others surely wish to train with him? He is stubborn this way. Your pardon. I spoke of a personal matter. Please forget it. You have business with the elders, yes? On you go.
Garif Elder (talking to Kadalu): What is it, hume-child? Have you something to ask of this wizened man? Ah, you wish to know of the nethicite? It is a word I hear quite often of late, though I know not why. Nor do I know anything of this Stone. So too did I tell the hume-child who asked me before. I’m sorry. Ask another of the elders. Perhaps they will know.
Garif Herder (by the nanna pen): The green creatures you see in my enclosure are nannas, the best livestock in all Ivalice. No part of the nanna goes to waste. Meat, hide, and bones, all have their uses. They are strong against drought, and cold, and - oh yes - easily herded.
Garif Elder (by the nanna pen): You have the look of one who wishes to know something. If it is something that I know, good. Ah, the nethicite… You are not the only one who has asked me about this. It saddens me to admit that I know nothing of this Stone. Magicite contains within it a great power, thus have we worshipped the Stones from the beginning of time. Yet I had never heard of this nethicite… Perhaps the High-chief knows something of this? If you have not spoken with him yet, go. He will be with Geomancer Yugelu.
Garif Elder (x2): You may ask me three more times, or a hundred, and each time I will tell you, “I do not know.” ...Perhaps the High-chief knows something of this? If you have not spoken with him yet, go. He will be with Geomancer Yugelu.
Garif Herder (standing in front of shack): Greetings. You are a traveler, yes? Our village is not like a hume village, but you are welcome to find what comfort here as you may.
Garif Trader: Do you need anything? Please, take your time, for the world has much of it for the taking. [shop menu] Have you heard of the monographs? Merely bearing one of these on your person aids in the retrieval of objects from the foes you defeat. There are different monographs for different persuasions of adventurer. As a merchant, I would love one, if only I knew where it might be found.
Garif Warrior/Warrior Hsemu: Beyond here lies the hill where sits the Great-chief. Those from the outside are not welcome here.
War-chief Supinelu: Have you learned of the Stones? Perhaps if you asked the elders, they might have wisdom for you.
Garif Herder (talking to another garif near the bridge to Elderknoll): There is a wood to the southeast of here, where the Mist is uncommonly thick. Even its flowers are perilous to Man. If you would pass through that wood, be wary of places where the Mist runs thickest.
Garif Herder (talking to another garif near the bridge to Elderknoll): Many people come to our village of late… Perhaps the road to Giza is open? Once again we can bring medicinal herbs and the fine cheese of the nanna to the people of Giza. When the Rains have lifted, I will do this.
Geomancer Yugelu: Many hume-children come to our village of late. You, too, have come to learn of this nethicite? We Garif protect the old ways, the old knowledge. Perhaps one of us knows of this Stone. My knowledge, however, is little. I know that nethicite makes the power of magick as nothing, but this is all. But you already knew this, did you not?
High-chief Zayalu: Oh? What is this? More humes come to visit us? A little bigger this time, but no matter. You need not tell me anything. I know you have come to our village to learn of the Stones, the nethicite. We garif have knowledge of this, passed down from father to son, mother to daughter. Some of it remains, some has been lost in history’s sands… I… know nothing of the Stones. You must speak to the Great-chief. He alone holds the deep knowledge of these things. He alone remembers all the tellings. Cross the bridge to the north, and there you will find him. There are watchers at the bridge, so I think it best to speak with War-chief Supinelu.
[Zayalu looks to the garif next to him. They nod to each other. He turns back to Vaan.]
...May I ask of you a favor? Give this to War-chief Supinelu, from me.
[You obtain a java stick!]
There is no rush. When you next happen to meet him, you may give it to him then. May you find all the answers you seek.
High-chief Zayalu (x2): Our Great-chief, he will know of the nethicite. If he tells you he does not know, then you must abandon your search, for no one knows. Ah, also, I must ask you to give the java stick to our War-chief. Now, I hope you will find the knowledge you seek.
Geomancer Yugelu: Sitting here on the earth, one comes to see many things: the great flow of the world, even the flow of Man’s thought…
Garif Elder (x2): You may ask me three more times, or a hundred, and each time I will tell you, “I do not know.” ...Perhaps the Great-chief knows something of this? He is wise in the knowledge of our people. You would do well to speak with him.
War-chief Supinelu: That which you carry, is it a java stick?
>Give him the java stick.
The High-chief has given this… to me? I shall receive it. I thank you for bringing it to me. Now, did you learn what you wished? No, do not tell me. It is written clear upon your face. So, even the High-chief could not help. Then, you must meet with the Great-chief.
>I would meet this Great-chief.
Yes, it is true. The Great-chief may know something that would aid you. Yet, arranging an audience may be quite difficult...
>I’ll come back another time.
[end conversation]
>Do nothing.
[end conversation]
War-chief Supinelu (x2) (after saying you’ll meet the Great-chief another time): So you have learned nothing of the Stones? To think that even the High-chief did not know… Then, you must meet with the Great-chief.
>I would meet this Great-chief.
Yes, it is true. The Great-chief may know something that would aid you. Yet, arranging an audience may be quite difficult...
>I’ll come back another time.
[end conversation]
Ashe: I must learn more about the nethicite. I cannot turn back now. Please, tell your Great-chief that I am of the royal line of Dalmasca, a direct descendant of Dynast-King Raithwall. If the garif have passed down knowledge of the Stones, they must know of the nethicite that the Dynast-King once held.
War-chief Supinelu: Do you have proof of your heritage?
Ashe: I… I do not.
War-chief Supinelu: Hrm… I have looked into your eyes and seen that you speak the truth, hume-child. I give you my trust. The Great-chief is ahead, across this bridge.
War-chief Supinelu: The Great-chief is across this bridge, at the meeting place. Walk softly, friend. Ah? You wonder about the stick? If you wish to know more, ask the High-chief. Do not ask me about this matter.
Warrior Hsemu: If the War-chief has given you his trust, so shall I. Go, meet with the Great-chief.

No comments:

Post a Comment